Ghazalian Corpus: Pseudo Works
Note that these works are of suspect attribution to Imam al-Ghazali and some have been a source of contention between scholars as to the validity of attributing these works to al-Ghazali.
- Sirr al-‘alamin wa khasf ma fi al-dariyyan (Secret of the two worlds and unvieling what is in the two houses =worlds). [M:214; A:67,91; GAL no 31]
- Mukashafat al-qulub (Unveiling of the Hearts) [M:239; A:239]
- al-Madnun al-saghir, [M:107; A:40, 119] (Smaller [book] of secrets) also called:
- al-Naffakh wal-taswiya (Breathing (life) and Formation (of creation). [M:107; A:107]
- al-Ajwaba al-Ghazaliyya ‘ala al-mas’il al-akhrawiyya. (Ghazalian Answers to Questions concerning the Hereafter.) [M:108; A:40]
- al-madnun bi hi ala ghayr ahlihi [M:A:39] (controversial still!) however I moved it to the works page. I guess the jury is still out on this one.
- ma’arij al-qudus fi madarij ma’rifit al-nafs. [M:76; A:76] (controversial still!) however I moved it to the works page. I guess the jury is still out on this one too.
- al-risala al-ladunia. [M:50, 193; A:90] (translated by Godlas)
- Minhaj al-‘arafin (Methodology of the Sufis) [M:356; A:77, A:356]
- Minhaj al-‘abidin ila Jannati Rabbi ‘l-Alamin (Methodology of the Worshipful Servants to the Garden of the Lord of All the Worlds) (possibly a summary of the Ihya’) (planned translation by al-baz publishing, also published in India)[M:64; A:72]
- al-Fara’id al-la’ali min rasa’il al-Ghazzali majmu`ah mushtamilah `alá Mi`raj al-salikin wa-Minhaj al-`arifin wa-Rawdat al-talibin, wa-hiya min anfas ma katabahu al-Ghazzali / [tashih] al-Shaykh Muhammad Bakhit, [Cairo] : Faraj Allah Zaki, 1344 
- Risalat al-tayr (Epistle of the Birds) See article: Al-Ghazzali’s Epistle of the Birds. N. A. Faris (PDF). [M:189; A:75]
- ar-Radd al-jamil ‘ala sarih al-Injil (The polite answer to the evident in the Gospels) (Arabic PDF) See article: “Al-Ghazali and the Arabic versions of the Gospels” Padwick, G. J., Muslim World 29(1939), pp. 130-140. Also in German: “Al-Ghazalis Schrift wider die Gottheit Jesu (Redd ül cemil)”, Franz-Elmar Wilms, Leiden, 1966. [M:194; A:83]
- Anwar hikmit [M: 91, A:103] (in Persian)
- al-Durrah al-fakhirah fi khasf ulum al-‘akhira. [M:62; A:66]
- A poem by al-Ghazali in Arabic. al-Qaṣida al-munfarija [M:255; A:255, 122, 434, 435]
- Last words of al-Ghazali. (link)
- Works on magic, talisman, witchcraft, litanies, dream interpretations, secrets of letters and numbers, etc. See A. Badawi’s mu’alafat al-ghazali pp. 277-302 (Numbers 96-127) for more information.
Prof. Mashhad al-Allaf has written a postscript to A. Badwai’s work giving detailed reasons why the above works (1-9) are not works by al-Ghazali. Reasons such as no mention in the texts of al-Ghazali’s other works; language that is used in these works is not the norm that al-Ghazali uses in his works; mention of works by people that were born years after al-Ghazali had died; terminology that al-Ghazali never used in his other works; foul language that scholars such as al-Ghazali would never use. For more information see his paper.
The numbers listed above in square brackets refer to M = Bouyges, Maurice. Essai de chronologie des oeuvres de al-ghazali(Algazel). Edited by Michel Allard. Beirut: L’Institue de Lettres Orientales de Beyrouth, 1959; A = Badwai, ‘Abd al-Rahman, Mu’allafat al-Ghazali. 2nd ed. Kuwait: Wakalat al-Mutbu’at, 1977- numbers as listed of al-ghazali’s works. There are many more the above list is not nearly comprehensive for more information see the Bibliography page.